The Parsee Fire Temple in Jamshedpur is situated in the periphery of a beautiful garden known as Jubilee Gardens with lovely flowering trees, bushes, creeps, rose and sea sonal plants. It was here that the holy fire, which the Parsees worship, was installed in 1960. The day was 3rd March, the birthday of Jamshetji Tata, day of Universal rejoicing in Jamshedpur. The fire has an interesting history. It has been burning in the Cursetjee Manockjee Shroff Agairy of the khades Parsee in Bombay since 1790. The trustee of the agairy, who had fallen on lean days was finding it difficult to keep the holy fire burning and approached the Parsees of Jamshedpur to establish the Cursetjee Manockjee Shroff Agairy here. The offer accepted and the setting up of the agiary fulfilled the long cherished dream of the Parsees in Jamshedpur to have the place of worship in the Steel city.
Situated on the straight mile road, the solemnly impressive Agiary was planned and designed by Mr. J.K Gora of Baliarchi, Thompson and Mathews, the famous architects of Calcutta. By a happy co-incidence, Mr. Gora descends from the same Dady Burjar Family of Bombay, as the original founder of the Agairy, Cursetjee Monockjee Shroff. Sri Jhangir Gandhy and then Director laid the foundation stone in charge, Tisco on 18th November 1954.
The Agiary caters to the ceremonial and religious needs of Parsee community. Every Sunday a class of religious instructions is held for boys and girls. A board of seven Trustees manages it with the assistance of honorary Secretary and an Honorary Treasurer.
The Gift of Fire from the old fire temple of Gujrat to the new, Vital and growing Parsee Community of Jamshedpur signifies the dedication of the Zoroastrian Community to the survival and continuation of an ancient and powerful religion. The Parsees of Jamshedpur, though few in number, have guided the city by their example and leadership in upholding ideals. Jamshedpur embodied the Zoroastrian thoughts, words and needs, “to be productive to partake of the generous resources of the earth and above all, to help those less fortunate also to share the good life.”
The first Parsees to visit Mayurbhanj district in 1905 were Mr. N.B. Bhattlawala, Mr. Burjorji Badshah who were close associates of the Jamshedji Nusserwanjee Tata.
Until 1924, this community applied to the company for plot of land to establish an Aramghah or Burial ground. Prior to this small plot in the Beldih Triangle contained graves. Later the company allotted plot of 1100 ft. by 600 ft. on the banks of the Subarnarekha River in the year 1925. On 3rd April 1927 it was established.
After the success of the Parsees Aramgah Committee, began the formation of an Association to promote the general interest of the community. On 23rd September 1937 a resolution was passed which led to the formation of the Jamshedpur Parsee Association. The Association also constructed houses in the Parsee colony. The Parsee community is very much in all social and cultural welfare activities of Jamshedpur.